Have you ever been in a situation where it feels like you're nothing but a doormat? There are times when serving at camp can feel like that; nothing goes your way, you have to serve in ways that are unexpected or that you didn't want to, and no one seems to appreciate how flexible your service is.
Recently our staff had one of those weeks--the days seemed to drag on and the service required of us was a little tougher than usual. It wasn't necessarily fun, but as we thought about all that had occurred, we recognized that these difficult opportunities to serve did not catch God by surprise. And while we don't know exactly why everything happened the way it did, we know God may have wanted us to be willing to give and pour ourselves out until we were exhausted, not seeking to be ministered to, but minister to others.
It reflects what Oswald Chambers wrote in "My Utmost for His Highest" when he asks "Are you willing to sacrifice yourself for the work of another believer? To pour out your life sacrificially for the ministry and faith of others?" This convicting question challenges our motivation to serve others, even here at camp. He goes on to say that when following God makes you look like a hero, it comes easily... but it feels a bit different when it seems like you're acting as a "door mat under other people's feet." Ministry is not always glamorous, or publicly praised, but humble sacrifice and faithfulness to the gospel is our calling as believers. As we remember the example of our Savior Jesus during His earthly ministry and death on the cross, how can we NOT pour out our lives as an offering of worship to Him as we serve others?
Please continue to pray for the staff and guests at Rock Mountain, that our ministry and service would flow from gratitude for the gift of our salvation and knowledge of our Savior.
- God provided additional youth camp counselors, which allowed us to open the waiting list to Teen Camp this summer!
- Summer is off to an awesome start, and our seasonal staff have truly stepped up to serve our guests with sacrificial and enthusiastic attitudes.
- We had a great weekend at Mini-Camp spending time with some of our youngest campers and their parents at camp!
- Pray for Bible Christian Fellowship Retreat, Northridge Senior High Retreat, Teen Camp, Agape Church Retreat, Faith Free Presbyterian Church Camp, Junior Camp, New Beginnings Kingdom Ministry Retreat, Reformed Episcopal Church Camp, Berean Bible Church, and Russian Ukrainian Baptist Church as we serve them this month!
- Pray for Will Reichel & Alisha Finn as they teach from God's Word during Teen Camp and Junior Camps, and that our counselors and staff would be faithful in taking opportunities to encourage campers in their walk with God.
- Pray for the campers attending Teen Camp, and Junior Camp 1 and 2, that they would be receptive to the message of Truth and Love from God's Word, and that these weeks would be a time of significant spiritual growth for every camper!